Is Wrapping Your Door Knob in Aluminum Foil an Effective Burglar Deterrent? Home security is a top priority for homeowners, and many people are always looking for ways to protect their homes from burglars. One popular myth that has been circulating around for years is that wrapping your door knob in aluminum foil can deter burglars. However, is there any truth to this myth? In this article, we will explore the effectiveness of using aluminum foil on door knobs and provide alternative home security measures.
Wrapping Door Knob In Aluminum Foil: Truth or Myth?
Unfortunately, the answer is no. While the shiny surface of the aluminum foil may seem like it can deter burglars by reflecting light and making it difficult for them to grip the doorknob, most burglars are not deterred by the presence of aluminum foil. In fact, the foil may even make it easier for burglars to identify which homes have valuable items worth stealing.
Benefits of Wrapping Door Knob In Aluminum Foil
There are no real benefits to using foil on the doorknob. As mentioned earlier, aluminum foil is not strong enough to provide any real protection against burglars and may even draw attention to valuable items in the home. Additionally, the foil can easily be torn or cut, and a determined burglar could simply remove the foil and proceed with breaking into the home.
How to Apply Aluminum Foil on the Door Knob
If you still want to try using aluminum foil on your door knob, here are the steps to follow:
- Cut a length of aluminum foil that is long enough to wrap around the door knob.
- Wrap the foil around the doorknob, securing it in place with tape or glue. Make sure that the entire surface of the door knob is covered and that there are no gaps.
- Repeat the process on any other door knobs in the home that you want to cover.
It’s important to note that using aluminum foil on door knobs is not an effective method for protecting your home from burglars. The foil is easily torn or cut and does not provide any real security.
Alternative Home Security Measures
Instead of relying on myths like using aluminum foil on door knobs, there are several proven security measures you can take to protect your home from burglars. Here are some of them:
- Install a security system: A security system with an alarm, motion sensors, and cameras can deter burglars and alert you and the authorities in case of a break-in.
- Use deadbolt locks on your doors: Deadbolt locks are more secure than regular locks and can make it harder for burglars to break into your home.
- Keep your windows locked and secured: Burglars often use windows to gain entry into homes. Make sure your windows are locked and have sturdy locks and screens.
- Use outdoor lighting: Burglars often target homes that are poorly lit. Install outdoor lights with motion sensors to deter burglars and make it easier for you to see if someone is approaching your home.
In conclusion, wrapping your door knob in aluminum foil is not an effective way to protect your home from burglars. Instead, invest in proven security measures to keep your home safe and secure.